Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Desperate times ...

Iping and Stedham Commons, 12 June 2012

With over a month's rain having fallen over West Sussex in the last 24 hours I was desperate to get out. Continuous rain and serious flooding of many areas yesterday, accounted for several of my local rivers and smaller water courses bursting their banks; the speed and intensity of the rising water quite frightening in some cases ...

After the storm came the calm and this morning I headed for Iping and Stedham Commons to look for the beautiful Silver-studded Blue, which have only recently started to emerge. It took little persuasion to tempt Colin Knight to join me, who was also desperate to be out and about. We headed for a small south facing area of heathland where I discovered good numbers during their peak last year. In the poor light and low ambient temperature, I managed to find just three males in the short time I was there and left Colin in his search for a female. Their emergence this year is some two weeks later than last, with the first individuals of 2011 noted at Iping Common on 26th May. I look forward to watching their peak period of emergence over the next few weeks and getting some pictures in better light.

A butterfly I will never grow bored of watching ...





No comments:

Post a Comment