Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Greenstreaks ...

Green Hairstreak (Callophrys rubi)

Chiddingfold Forest, 17 May 2016


If asked where I would go to stand a good chance of seeing C. rubi, my local Chiddingfold Forest, both the Surrey and Sussex sectors, would typically not be at the top of my list - well to be fair it still isn’t but this season I have seen more specimens there than in all previous seasons put together. The main area where I am finding them is comprised of self-seeded Silver birch (Betula pendula) and winter-cleared Bracken (Pteridium aquilinum) with a mixed ground flora comprising Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta), Greater stitchwort (Stellaria holostea), Bugle (Ajuga reptans) and Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata), to name but a few of the more prominent species. Broom (Cytisus scoparius) and Gorse (Ulex sp.) are also present.

A butterfly I never get bored of watching …

More at:

1 comment: