Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Season's first ...

I always wait in anticipation for my first butterfly sighting of the year; though I am often left rather concerned over sightings that are too early in the season due to the limited availability of nectar sources and the likelihood of adverse winter weather still potentially on the horizon. This year, on Saturday, 22nd February, I struck lucky and counted seven male Brimstones during a sun-filled walk in a Surrey section of Chiddingfold Forest. A flyby, in my garden, on the 24th was followed by sightings of five further males on the 27th; all in Sussex locations. In addition, a Small Tortoiseshell, found fluttering around a window in my local church on Tuesday, 25th February, bodes well for the coming butterfly year.

Fingers crossed!

My first species of the season ...


No comments:

Post a Comment