Anything but straightforward …
During a recent search of old parkland in West
Sussex I found a small colony of the above cup fungi, which I believed to be a Peziza species. They were growing
amongst a chipped softwood mulch at the base of a large cedar tree.
Cup fungi, the brown ones in particular, are
especially difficult to identify with certainty. Having photographed a representative
selection of the specimens, I collected several samples and later passed them to
Nick Aplin, the county recorder for ascomycetes, for his opinion. Nick has tentatively identified them as Peziza varia s.l. Species delimitation
in this group is quite controversial and there are several undescribed species,
which could be a good fit as the spores from my collection were just a bit
large for P. varia. The samples have
been dried with view to DNA barcoding and further study later in the year. My
thanks to Nick for his time and opinion and for the above photomicrograph.







Who ever thought fungi could be so complicated!
ReplyDeleteYou're not kidding !!!
ReplyDelete