Saturday, 4 May 2013

Brimstone ...

Chiddingfold Forest

I spent much of yesterday in Chiddingfold Forest searching for early spring brood Wood White. After an extensive search of all Surrey sectors during the morning, I headed into Sussex sections of the forest in the afternoon, yet still failed to locate any specimens. Apart from several female Orange Tip, which at quick glance fooled me into thinking I’d found one, none were seen. It is my belief that Wood White, at least as of yesterday, are still not flying in Chiddingfold Forest. That said, I was far from beaten and managed to see ten species with Brimstone being by far the most prolific.

Species seen:

Small Tortoiseshell
Peacock
Comma
Holly Blue
Green-veined White
Large White
Small White
Brimstone
Orange Tip
Speckled Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment