Saturday, 11 May 2013

The Duke's Duke ...

Norfolk Estate, Arundel, 9 May 2013

To be fair, conditions today were really not very good for getting out and searching for butterflies; but I had the opportunity to do so and decided to head out nevertheless …

I arrived on the Norfolk Estate at around 9.45am. Despite the strong wind continually gusting through the trees and the small clearing that was to be my destination, there were a few, more sheltered (though still windy) locations that provided some respite. Moving slowly through these areas I spotted a single female Speckled Wood; a pristine specimen and a bonus as I wasn’t expecting to find much. As I slowly followed her, I suddenly noticed a small brown insect fly up from the undergrowth and immediately land several feet away. My concentration rapidly diverted from the Speckled Wood, as I immediately realized that it was a male Duke of Burgundy sheltering from the rather inclement conditions.

I knew that Neil was in nearby woodland as an earlier phone call from him announced that he had at last seen a Pearl-bordered Fritillary – the first appearing in Sussex on 16th April in 2012. After a quick phone call in return, Neil arrived. As he mentions in his diary, “it wasn’t keen on flying in the strong, cool breeze” which gave Neil ample time to drive over and photograph the Duke for himself.

I’m glad I went out …

No comments:

Post a Comment