Monday, 26 November 2012

Waterproofs a prerequisite …

Chiddingfold Forest, 9 May 2012

The sentence, “I bet you can’t find and photograph a butterfly today”, concluded a discussion with a good friend earlier this morning. This of course was like red rag to a raging bull. The sky was leaden grey and steady heavy drizzle was falling, but I was up for a challenge. By the time I reached Botany Bay it was mid morning. The weather certainly hadn’t improved, in fact it had possibly worsened, and I couldn’t help but think I should have been here yesterday afternoon when conditions were somewhat better.

Not to be beaten, and this was not the first time I’ve searched for butterflies in the rain (mad, obsessed, over enthusiastic call me what you will), I slowly headed into the wood in the hope I might locate a Wood White sheltering from the rather inclement weather, though this was not to be. Having crossed a small stream and reached a Purple Emperor hotspot (well not today), I moved into one of several small meadows and carefully started to inspect the hardheads. The drizzle had now become continuous light rain but I was confident I would find what I was looking for. On my second circuit I spotted my target, a rather wet but welcome male Dingy Skipper. I found three in total, all males, and spent some considerable time trying to keep my lens dry whilst getting that all important picture.

Just look at those eyelashes ...

Wet and point proven I headed home …




No comments:

Post a Comment